MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS FOR DEEP CYCLE FORKLIFT BATTERIESGAdmin
MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS FOR DEEP CYCLE FORKLIFT BATTERIES
- Always wear your personal protective clothing when working on batteries i.e. safety glasses and gloves.
- If you get acid on your skin or clothes, wash with water. If in your eyes, flush with water for 10 minutes then seek medical attention.
- No naked flames, smoking, welding or grinding permitted in or near the battery bay.
- Keep filler caps closed at all times unless you are taking specific gravity readings, checking the electrolyte level or topping up.
- Keep all topping up equipment clean and free from dust at all times. Do not use metal containers or funnels for battery water.
- Do not place metal objects on top of batteries as this could cause fires or explosions due to explosive gasses being generated and high currents produced if short circuit should occur.
- Never over charge a battery i.e. charge at tea times and lunch times etc. This will shorten battery life.
- Never interrupt a charge. Allow the charger to complete its cycle.
- Never leave a battery in a discharged state. Recharge as soon as possible after use.
- Keep the filler caps closed during charging.
- Avoid high electrolyte temperatures by:
- Expose the battery during charge
- Provide proper ventilation
- Allow a cool off period after charge
- Have your charger checked for correct operation every 6 months
- Use the correct charger for your battery
- Check the electrolyte levels and top up at the end of charge.
- Only used approved battery water to top up.
- Do not over top.
- Ensure the connector bolts are tight and that their insolation is intact.
- Keep the battery lids and tank clean, dry and free of corrosion at all times.
- Check that the plug, cables and connectors are serviceable before use.
- Do not over discharge the battery. This will shorten it’s life.
- Have your battery serviced regularly by Goscor technicians to ensure early detection of possible problems.